I don’t know about you, but I literally feel like I’m running in place lately. I just cannot get ahead and I absolutely hate that feeling. It’s been hard to wrap my head around all the things I have coming up. So, in typical me fashion I find comfort in food. I know, it’s not good to eat your feelings, but I’ve also been told it’s ok when you are at least aware that you are, and that you are making the conscious decision to do say. It may not really be the best, but I am going with the second piece of advice and consciously deciding to eat my feelings. It’s not all bad, I mean it lead me to these beautiful pumpkin spice French toast sticks. A while back I made this version and loved them so much I almost ate the entire plate, or I did eat it all, my memory is blurry….. But in all honesty, they were really….really….good. While we were on vacation in August, I made a batch of the pumpkin cream cheese muffins, and we were talking about how good they would be in French toast form. The original chat included a variation of stuffed French toast, which may come later. But for now, I wanted something that didn’t take a lot of time to whip up that hit the spot for the pumpkin spice craving, and was easy to follow. Then this recipe was born. It’s an adaption of the first recipe. I warmed up the spices a bit and used pumpkin pie spice in the topping. Not only did the house smell amazing, there were happy tummy’s in the house. #winning!
Pumpkin Spice French Toast Sticks
For the French Toast Sticks
- 4 slices bread
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash each of clove, ginger, and nutmeg
For the Streusel Topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with a Silpat baking mat or non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut the bread into 3 sticks. In a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and spices. Dip the bread sticks into the egg mixture, letting excess drip off. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the flour, brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice to a small bowl and mix to combine. Add in the butter and work together using your hands until the mixture is crumbly.
- Remove the french toast sticks after 9 minutes. Flip them over and top with the streusel mixture. Place them back in the oven and bake another 9-10 minutes or until they are golden and streusel is set.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm. Serve with maple syrup, confectioners sugar, fruit, if desired. Or, eat them plain because they are amazing as is!