Everyday I’m Brusselin

I have been so busy lately, I had to skip my usual Friday post. The hustle is real in my life and it all surrounds work, traveling (for work) and normal family chaos. The upside is this work trip is taking me to places I’ve never been and will make for some awesome blog posts, I’m sure! I am so excited to explore all the foods in London, Geneva, Zurich, Milan, and Munich. What trip would be complete without a visit to Oktoberfest? Once this trip is over, things should start to settle, slightly. Though thinking ahead to November we kick off a super busy end to this year. Birthdays, Disney, Holidays, so much fun, and so much Serenity Compound. But back to the food, what a comeback…Brussels sprouts?!  Yes! I know, not everyone is a fan, but I have come to love them. To a point that If they are roasted, or better have some bacon on them, I would choose them over chocolate. This recipe is a new one. I actually found it while I was on vacation. I was looking through a cookbook and it said serve these to someone who doesn’t like Brussels sprouts, and they will love them. Ok maybe not exactly, but basically. So I had to try them. I will admit, at first, when I was mid-making them, I wasn’t sure. I mean I was way out of my comfort zone with sprouts. I roast them mostly, but sauteed, not so much. I was more than pleasantly surprised when I tasted them. The ginger is so delicious in this. The original recipe called for water rather than broth, but I loved it with the broth. It added another layer of flavor that was fantastic. Honestly, I think anyone who wasn’t a fan of sprouts, would definitely enjoy them after this.

Shredded Gingered Brussels Sprouts

Shredded Gingered Brussels Sprouts

Instructions

1. Trim Brussels sprouts. Cut sprouts in half, then cut crosswise, into thin slices.
  2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sprouts and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until they begin to brown lightly. Add oil and toss to coat. Stir in the onion, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Add broth. Reduce the heat to medium and cook, covered, for 1-2 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

Notes

Barely adapted from Taste of Home.

Previous Story
Next Story

You Might Also Like

13 Comments

Courtney
    October 6, 2017 at 3:45 pm Brussel Sprouts are my favorite! I have made them a zillion different ways, but not this one yet. Im excited to try this recipe!
      admin
      October 6, 2017 at 4:35 pm They are my favorite too! You are definitely going to enjoy these as well.
      admin
      October 6, 2017 at 10:15 pm Let me know what you think! I've always roasted mine but this is a new fave for me!
    Amy at cooking1handed.com
    October 6, 2017 at 7:55 pm I never would have thought to use ginger! I have a big cabbage and I might try this method with cabbage too!
      admin
      October 6, 2017 at 10:10 pm I bet that would taste delicious! I always roasted mine I rarely branch out but this caught my eye and I'm so glad I tried it. I'm curious to know how it works out with the cabbage!
    Aileen
    October 6, 2017 at 9:06 pm Looks like a great dish for Thanksgiving! May just be a new tradition! Thanks for sharing.
      admin
      October 6, 2017 at 10:08 pm Yes!!! I'm in the midst of menu planning for the holiday and I think you are right!!
    Stephanie Torres
    October 6, 2017 at 10:06 pm Just have to say, the name of this post is fantastic :-)! My husband and I have 4 brussel sprout plants growing in our backyard right now and we will definitely some good recipes for them. This sounds delicious and we will definitely give it a shot!
      admin
      October 6, 2017 at 10:08 pm Haha thank you!!! I'm so jealous you have plants growing. I tried last year but they didn't make it. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
    Nicky
    October 7, 2017 at 10:30 am I'm loving that title, it shows your humour! Hope your holiday planning goes well and enjoy the Brussels!
      admin
      October 9, 2017 at 7:33 am Thank you!!
    Derek and Saira
    October 9, 2017 at 9:23 pm Love the title as well! I haven't tried brussels sprouts with ginger or stock before, but I'm thinking I may have to do so soon! I also love them sauteed with garlic, onion, and coconut oil.
      admin
      October 11, 2017 at 6:21 am Thank you!! Also that sounds delicious! I am definitely going to have to try that!!