This Sunday, I had too much to share to do just a Sunday Coffee Talk post, so I labeled this one Weekend Things. It was a fantastically busy weekend. We kicked the weekend off by tempting fate and heading to a restaurant with a tired toddler. It’s like gambling, you pray you are going to win and I’d say we hit pretty big. I love being able to spend a night out with my guys, especially one that goes well. We mostly made it through dinner before he was done, and I became a human napkin. I really wanted to make this weekend as fun filled as possible. We went to a movie on Saturday and then stopped by Dave and Busters which Anthony (and my husband) LOVED! We had such a blast. I tested out the strawberry watermelon margarita and it was fantastic. For Mothers Day we went to brunch with my family. It’s always great to spend a Mothers Day with the family and celebrate our mom and being a mom. It’s my favorite job in the entire world. I especially loved the story Anthony wrote for my at daycare. He knows me well. Apparently food blogging was a good passion to start because I clearly love food and am not 100% keen on my office job! Speaking of that, Friday was especially crazy and I did not have a chance to post my usual Friday recipe. This is my Mothers Day gift to all of you. It’s so delicious and not hard to whip up on a weeknight. Coming up this week, I have tested yet another Chrissy Teigen recipe, which…shocker…was amazing. I’ve also got an overnight oats recipe that will make your mornings super easy and some smoothie and toast recipes that will help you change up your morning meal/snack routine.
Teriyaki Pork with Mango Salsa and Coconut Rice (AKA the triple treat)
For the Pork
For the salsa
- 1 Mango, diced small
- 1/4 chopped red onion
- 1 small can diced green chiles
- juice of 1-2 limes
- salt and pepper to taste
For the coconut rice
- To make the pork, season both sides of the pork chops with salt and pepper. Place in an airtight container, or resealable plastic bag, and marinate in teriyaki sauce at least an hour or overnight. To cook the pork, remove from the sauce and grill until cooked through.
- For the salsa, combine the ingredients in an airtight container. It's best to let it sit overnight so the flavors can blend a bit.
- To make the rice, first toast the shredded coconut in a skillet, over medium-low heat. Be mindful to watch it closely and remove it from the heat immediately, once it's lightly browned. It will turn from perfect to burnt in seconds.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the rice, coconut milk. 1 3/4 cups water, sugar and salt, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is cooked and the liquid is absorbed. About 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and top with the toasted coconut.
The pork and salsa are original recipes. The coconut rice is from Chrissy Teigen’s Cravings.